Thursday 24 March 2011

Summer Season Preview Part One

Every year the Summer blockbuster window gets bigger and bigger. There was a time when summer blockbusters were released between June and August, but with films like Rango (which is brilliant) and Battle: LA (which is terrible) coming out in February and Sucker Punch being released next week, it feels like the summer season has expanded from March till August. With so many months of popcorn fun ahead, is there anything actually worth watching? Well, that's what I'm here for in my first Summer Season Preview.

Sucker Punch














Sucker Punch is an interesting film. Sure the visuals are cool, but it seems like it could a recurring theme for Zak Snyder. Style over substance. What worries me even more than the fact that the film was re-cut several times. Then the film's R rating was moved to a PG-13. Were Warner Brothers preparing for a bomb? Have they cut it down to increase ticket sales? Time will tell next week when the film is released. Be sure to look for my review.

Scream 4







After eleven years away from the screen, Sydney, Gale and Dewey are back for a fourth installment in the pop culture phenomenon that is the Scream franchise. But has time took it's tole on this franchise? The third was a step down in quality for the Scream trilogy and then several parodies came along and now I can't help but laugh at this new trailer for Scream 4. With Williamson returning as scribe, maybe this will redefine the genre, like the first one did. I hope so! 

Fast Five







I have never been interested in The Fast And The Furious Franchise, until I saw this trailer. For some reason I watched it and was shocked by what I had seen. Spectacular action sequences. I then went back and watched the previous four. The first film was quite good, the second was awful, the third was mediocre and the fourth was actually fun. With Justin Lin at the helm again, I can say with a straight face, I'm excited for Fast Five. Also, Vin Diesel and The Rock brawling, a truck crashing into a train and a car driving off a cliff. I mean come on!

Thor







I'm just gonna say straight away. I cannot wait for Thor! Everything from the director Kenneth Branagh to the casting has pleased me. Marvel Studios has got everything right. The two trailers released look spectacular, I like the balance of Earth and Asgard. The action looks exciting and the acting looks almost thespian. I just worry that the film may not be a hit like Iron Man. The character is less accessible for audience than Tony Stark, he's the God Of Thunder. It's going to be interesting how Thor does at the box office. But for now I can't wait!

Pirates Of The Caribbean 4







The first Pirates film was fun and exciting, the character of Jack Sparrow was interesting. By the end of the third Pirates film, my thoughts had done a u-turn. The franchise was overlong, stale and laughable. With a fourth film just around the corner. This seems like nothing more than a cash grab for Disney. Probably trying get some of the Tron Legacy money they wasted. Don't get me wrong, some things in the trailer are cool. Ian McShane as Blackbeard is pretty badass and the evil mermaids look cool, but it isn't enough to bring me back to the franchise.

The Hangover Part II







The Hangover was the break out hit of summer 2009. Grossing over 500 million dollars worldwide. It was a good film, funny and great to watch in the cinema. But when walking out of my cinema from a screening, I heard someone say "That's the best comedy ever!". I dismissed the comment, merely thinking he was stupid. But then after months and months of people proclaiming how great it was I realised that maybe a lot of people are stupid. Sure, its a fun film and it was the comedy of that summer. But better than Airplane, Naked Gun and Spinal Tap? I think not. I had no excitement for The Hangover Part II, until I saw the teaser and I saw a monkey dressed in a suit. Now I will see it.

X-Men: First Class







After two films that were mediocre and atrocious (X-Men: The Last Stand and Wolverine). Fox attempts to bring back the Singer glory days of X-Men 1 and 2. With Singer back as producer and Kick Ass director Matthew Vaughn in the directors chair. Maybe they might have something good. Well from what I have seen in the trailer, I can say that I am excited for this film. Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy look perfect as Magneto and Xavier. The underlying themes of the Cuban missile crisis and being set in the sixties also bring me hope. I can say I am looking forward to this a lot.

So that's all for now. My first part of the Summer Season Preview is complete. As always, echo your thoughts below. Are you looking forward to any of these films? Be sure to check back in a few days when I will be posting the second part of my Summer Season Preview.

Thanks

Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment