Monday 28 March 2011

Summer Season Preview Part Two

This years summer season is so big, so full of highly anticipated future classics (hint of sarcasm) that I couldn't contain it all in my first article. It has to be split into two parts. So this is part two of my Summer Season Preview. So just get you caught up on events, in the first part I was unsure about Sucker Punch, looking forward to Thor and X-Men: First Class and couldn't care less about Pirates 4. Well, anyway let's get into part two.

Super 8














Starting this second part of the summer preview with a bang! Out of every film I will cover, this is the one film I cannot wait for the most. JJ Abrams won over many geek hearts with Lost, solidified his Geek God status by rebooting a stale and irrelevant franchise Star Trek. Now he ventures into nostalgic Speilbergian territory and with Speilberg on board as a Executive Producer. This was before anything was even shot, I was already excited. The first teaser was intriguing, the Superbowl spot was cool and now the full theatrical trailer has been released and it's awe inspiring. From the awesome John Williams-esque music to the Speilberg themes from his early career (Family, Small Town America), everything about this trailer blows my mind. I count down the days eagerly to the release of this film.

Green Lantern














I'm not gonna lie. In my opinion, this trailer is terrible. It just feels like Warner Brothers rushed it out. There isn't much of a structure to the trailer. Even though trailers can count as a stand alone piece of media. They sum up Hal Jordan in about twenty seconds as the "cocky dick" kind of guy. Blake Lively has two lines in the trailer, she butchers the first so badly that you're still recovering from it when the second line pops around. The lack of action set pieces distresses me as well. For a summer popcorn movie, there isn't much going on. The CGI looks good for most of the trailer, but it's certain moments that worry me. Ryan Reynolds looks okay but I've never grown to him as Jordan. I wanted Chris Pine from the start. But maybe Reynolds will shock me. That's the thing about this trailer. It might convey what the film actually is. It might just be a bad trailer. Hopefully a second trailer will clear some worries I and many other people have. In Brightest Day, In Blah Blah Blah!


Cars 2














Well this is a tricky one. I haven't seen Cars. I love Pixar but after I heard various people say it was there best outing or even in there league I put it to the bottom of my "Pixar Films I Need To See Pile" along with Wall-E and Ratatouille. So I have watched the trailer but haven't seen the first film. As a trailer it looks fine. Actually looks quite fun. Maybe I'll get around to seeing the first film before this comes out

Transformers: Dark Of The Moon







I love the first Transformers film, I'm not ashamed about it. It's big, dumb and fun. I hate Transformers 2. After an awesome set of trailers I was pumped for more of the first film. What I got was action I couldn't visually understand, horrible cheesy jokes, a stupid story and two racist robots that make Jar Jar look "cool". The second film was over bloated. I had no hope, no interest for a third one. Then Bay admitted that Transformers 2 was a misfire. I agreed and still had no interest. Then the teaser trailer was shown, I was like Hmmm interesting. Then I saw the Superbowl spot. It blew my mind, I am now split. I am looking forward to the film, but then at the back of my brain is how cheated I felt when I saw Transformers 2. Cause the trailers for that blew my mind. I'm gonna wait for the next trailer before I make my decision.

Harry Potter And The Deathly Hallows Part Two







There isn't a trailer for part two but this trailer has footage from both parts. I was late comer to Harry Potter. I wasn't a fan of the first two films and gave up on the franchise. But after a lot of badgering from several friends I decided to watch Azkaban. They were right, it was so much better than the first two. Over the space of a week I watched the rest of the franchise finishing with Half-Blood Prince. Then in November I watched DHP1 in IMAX and really liked it. So I am looking forward to the second part, I think it will be full of action and should be fun.

Captain America: The First Avenger







I'm sure some of you may have read my thoughts about this trailer a few days ago. But I don't mind saying again. This trailer is great! For now, all my worries are non existent. I think it's because the idea of  Captain America film had always worried me, I mean have you seen the costume in the comics. Things like that are meant to stay in comics. So the fact this doesn't look stupid, doesn't look cheesy and actually looks quite badass all point to a rare success. As a trailer, remember this film could be bad. But the trailer does everything right. Builds up the character, shows the transformation and then shows brilliant action set pieces. For me that's what a trailer for a comic book origin movie needs. Pay attention Green Lantern! This trailer also makes the costume work, it doesn't shiny and camp, it looks rough and dirty, almost gritty. So yeah, I am looking forward to this film a lot. I just hope it doesn't let me down.

Cowboys And Aliens





My two favourite genre's are Science Fiction and Western. So this film was made for me! But seriously I like Jon Favreau. Elf is a fun Christmas film, Iron Man was a good comic book movie. Nothing amazing, just good. Iron Man 2 was decent, not terrible. His next film is Cowboys And Aliens. I think it looks good. The trailer is structured well. Craig looks interesting, Harrison Ford looks cool as always and the action looks fun. I'm looking forward to it. The Superbowl TV spot worried me as there was some dodgy stuff in it. Daniel Craig jumping on a CGI alien craft springs to mind. But for now, it looks pretty good.

My First Annual Summer Season Preview has came to an end. This summer looks interesting to say the least. There are four major comic book movies to look forward, a bunch of sequels and a few original ideas as
well. Of course, Next Gen News will be covering all these films extensively. Looking at new trailer and news about them. I will also be reviewing most of them. So, what films are you looking forward to? As always, leave your thoughts down below.

Thanks.

Chris.

No comments:

Post a Comment